Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Trying a new clay


Now most of you, even those of you who have bought beads off me, probably haven't even given a thought to the brand of clay I use, why would you? Well normally I use Du-kit, there are a number of reasons but the main one when I first starting using polymer clay was that this is a New Zealand made clay and I love the idea of buying locally when I can. Yesterday, however, I was in one of the local emporiums and they had some Cernit clay. The colours were lovely, lots of pearlescent effects, which are not available in the Du-kit, and they were well priced. I treated myself to three blocks and some other things that I needed, well they just called out to me so I did the decent thing and gave them a home!

As soon as the kids were sleeping I unwrapped those blocks of clay and started to condition them...oh the shock, they crumbled, why? I was horrified, had I been sold some terrible unconditionable clay that I wouldn't be able to use? Well no, but it is very odd. It is crumbly and dry when you first start using it and then it gets soft, VERY soft. I was struggling to get it to stay in one place it was that soft. Finally, conditioned and in rolls I popped it in the fridge for a few minutes. That was much better. So here's a tiny cane I made with it, I only made a little thing to start with as I wasn't sure how it was going to work. The really odd thing about it though is that it slices wonderfully, no drag and yet the blade goes though very easily. I'm looking forward to playing some more, now I just need to find the time.

No comments: