Friday, June 12, 2009

Deb's Beads

I just have to share with you the most incredible bead artist, her name is Deb Batten and she is a Christchurch based New Zealander. I first came across her beads about 18 months ago and thought they were stunning, I bought a few and made some jewellery for friends and family. The beads were lovely and the jewellery a huge success.
I have since bought a number of beads from Deb, I guess I'm a regular now and recently she has been making the most amazing beads with a new glass made in New Zealand by Gaffer Glass. The glass is Chalcedony and gives beautiful shades and depth of colour. Deb's beads have a stunning organic feel to them and the shapes and colours just flow. What I love most about them is the way you see so much in them, they aren't just a flat picture of a flower or a pattern, they pull you in and every time you look at them you see something else, another colour or reflection in the light. As you can probably tell I'm a big fan. Her latest listings are amazing and here are a couple of my favourites.
If you get a minute or two you should really check out her site Firebird-NZ.com, it is well worth the trip. Thanks Deb for being such an inspiration and also giving me encouragement in my own polymer clay bead efforts.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Em - you are such a sweety! What a lovely write up.

I'm loving following your progress with the polymer clay beads - & can well appreciate the skill & patience required to do that.
Me - I just let the glass do it's thing!lol!
I'm currently playing a game of 'catch up' - but I forsee some Chalcedony Beads heading your way in the very near future ;o)

Emma said...

Hey Deb, you do so much more than that and I can't wait to own some of those stunning beads. Soon, soon, maybe when my key is done I'll just order up the other things I like.

Paula said...

I'm a big fan of Deb's work also love what she is going with Chalcedony glass. BTW you polymer clay beads are wonderful, before glass I tried polymer glass. I just don't have the patience to work with clay.